Today the Scottish Government released their Programme for Government.
Penumbra welcomes the announcement of several investments and commitments to supporting Scotland’s Mental Health.
Key strategies across mental health include:
- £60 million investment in mental health services across schools
- Creating 350 counsellor positions and an additional 250 nurses in schools
- Additional 80 counsellors in higher and further education
There has also been the reassertion of previously mentioned strategies, including:
- Expanding upon Distress Brief Intervention to under-18’s
- Reducing suicide in Scotland by 20%
- Making mental health and suicide prevention training mandatory for all NHS staff
Mental Health spending across Scotland will increase £250m over the next five years.
The full Programme for Government can be read here.